- Press and hold the POWER Button down until the system powers off (about 10 seconds), then power the system back on.
- General system stability can be improved by applying the latest system update. Try applying the latest system update and see if the issue improves. How to
- If the system only freezes when using a specific game or application downloaded from the eShop, check the eShop for an update. How to. If the update was already installed, delete and redownload it.
- If the game was downloaded, use the Nintendo 3DS Download Repair Tool to check the game or application for errors and repair if necessary. How to
- Even if no errors are found, you can choose to run the repair tool.
- Start the game or application again to see if the problem is still happening.
If situation is not resolved: The system will need to be repaired.
NOTE: Nintendo no longer offers factory repairs for the original Nintendo 3DS system (model CTR-001, serial numbers begin with “CW”). Click here for information on replacement and upgrade options.
Repairs for all other Nintendo 3DS family systems are still available. Click here to begin the repair process. Be sure to include your SD card and any games that are having this issue with your repair.
Source article: Nintendo Support